Watching for the changing colors of nature and the reappearance of cozy sweaters, I love to get outside during this time of year. I especially enjoy sitting with friends around my deck table enjoying a cup of hot tea and a slice of this freshly baked cake!
I know many people bake with apples and pumpkin spices during this season of the year, but I thought I’d choose something a little different—a spice called cardamom.
The zesty citrus tones in this cake are as refreshing as the crisp autumn air. As we celebrate Living Real Magazine’s 10th Birthday, I’d like to share 10 interesting facts about this cake with you.
- Cardamom - This fragrant spice, often used in curries, can be used in desserts too. It is packed with medicinal qualities.
- Lemon - Lemons have strong antiviral/ antibacterial properties and are a great liver cleanser.
- Raw Local Honey - Honey belongs in your kitchen and medicine cabinet. It is great for soothing a sore throat and may help reduce seasonal allergies.
- Sesame Seeds - These are a great source of bone-boosting calcium and magnesium.
- Kefir - A fermented beverage containing good gut-boosting bacteria. Tastes similar to yogurt but not as thick.
- Dates - Dates are nature’s toffee, containing several nutrients and fiber.
- Walnuts - Walnuts are bursting with good fats and are a great source of the crucial omega-3 fatty acids which benefit the brain and may help to beat inflammation.
- Coconut - You don’t always have to use sweetened shredded coconut. Swap it out for the unsweetened coconut.
- Unbleached Flour - I have swapped out bleached for an unbleached, less processed flour.
- Serve With a Cup of Delicious Hot Tea - Why not try Rooibos tea? It’s an herbal tea packed with antioxidants and can be enjoyed hot or cold.
Lemon, Walnut, and Cardamom Cake
1 cup soft butter
½ cup raw sugar or coconut sugar
5 tbsp raw, local honey
2 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp baking soda a pinch of salt
2/3 cup plain milk kefir or a coconut milk kefir (mix with the baking soda)
2 tbsp zested lemon rind
2/3 cup medjool dates, diced and dust with 1/8 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tbsp cardamom seeds
2 tbsp sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 350°; Grease a round baking pan; Sift the flour and salt; Beat butter, sugar, and honey until well combined; Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; Beat at high speed for 2 minutes; Add dry ingredients alternately with the kefir and baking soda mixture Don’t over mix; Fold into the mixture the zested lemon, dates (excess flour removed), shredded coconut, walnuts, and cardamom seeds; Add batter to baking pan, sprinkle sesame seeds over the top and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Add the following to a small pot:
¾ cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp zested lemon rind
6 tbsp raw honey
Melt over very low heat and store in fridge. Once the cake is cooked, remove cake from the oven, and then slowly pour syrup icing over the warm cake.
is the founder of Alive Again LLC, wife of a missionary, and the mother of three beautiful daughters. She is a regular nutritionist guest consultant on WIS-TV, and her speaking engagements include corporate seminars and church groups. She would love for you to visit Leré’s Barn where she features healthy cooking demos, wellness educational classes, and custom corporate and group talks. For more information please visit AliveAgainOnline.com